Nezperce, ID 83543-0159
Serving Lewis County Since 1897
Issued every Thursday and entered in the Post Office at Nezperce, Idaho 83543, as periodical mail matter by Wherry Publishing, Inc., P.O. Box 157, Cottonwood, ID 83522-0157
Greg & Steve Wherry
Steve Wherry – Editor
In Idaho $35.00 including tax
6 months $22.00 including tax
Out of Idaho $41.00
6 months $25.00
Student Rate (9 months) $26.00
Single mailed (inc. post.) $1.25
The second newspaper was the Record, edited by G.S. Martin, who later changed the name to the Nezperce Herald with W.C. Foresman publisher until June 1905 when Miss Millicent A. Pope, Foresman’s sister-in-law, took over as publisher. Pope and Foresman sold the paper to Z.A. Johnson, who turned it over to Elmer Waldrip, June 14, 1906. Waldrip edited the paper for a few months. Although he was supposed to have bought it, he never paid anything to the former owners, who took it back and resold to P.W. Mitchell, April 4, 1907. In 1909 he had sold one half interest in the newspaper to W.P. Conger.
By June 30, 1932 W.P. Conger and E.A. Conger were the owners and publishers of the Nezperce Herald.
The Lewis County Register started in 1908 covering the Ilo and Vollmer area. G.E. Simpson was the publisher of the Register in the 1930s to Oct. 8, 1942 when W.P and E.A. Conger purchases the paper.
Earnest A. Conger took over the two papers August 2, 1945.
Earnest Conger published the Lewis County Register in Craigmont and the Nezperce Herald in Nezperce until April 18, 1957 when he combined the two papers and published the first Lewis County Herald.
June 2, 1960 Chris A. Christensen purchased the Lewis County Herald.
May 25, 1978 Bob and Pat Wherry, owners of the Cottonwood Chronicle purchased the Lewis County Herald.
Steve Wherry has been serving as janitor (editor) of the paper since August 1995.
According to some information on the back of a picture, the Lewis County Herald building at 517 Oak Street was constructed in approximately 1913 – making this the 105th birthday of the building.