CITY OF NEZPERCE, IDAHO
SEPTEMBER 10, 2018
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF THE NEZPERCE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF NEZPERCE, IDAHO, HELD ON September 10, 2018.
PLACE: Nezperce City Hall, 502 5th Ave.
- THE MEETING WAS CALLED TO ORDER BY MAYOR STEVE A. BATEMAN AT 5:51 P.M.
- Pledge of Allegiance: The pledge was led by Mayor Bateman.
III. PRESENT were Councilmembers Steve Bateman, Mike Jensen, Tyler Nelson (by conference call), James Zenner, Maintenance Supervisor Craig Cardwell and Clerk-Treasurer Rhonda Schmidt. Absent were Councilman Michelle Lyons and Fire Chief Dave Kuther.
- AMENDMENT TO AGENDA
- MINUTES of the previous meetings of 8/14/18 and 8/27/18 were approved as emailed upon a motion by Cm. Zenner, motion was seconded by Cm. Jensen, motion carried.
- TREASURER’S REPORT AND MONTHLY BILLS:
The Clerk’s Monthly Treasurer’s Report dated September 10, 2018 was examined and approved, showing the following:
Funds on Hand $337,264.63 (revised following the receipt of pool statements)
All bills and payroll disbursements were examined and approved for payment upon a motion by Cm. Zenner and seconded by Cm. Jensen in the total of $60,872.81 check numbers 14180 through 14222 with 14221 voided. Receipts since the last meeting were shown as $45,427.20. The checks and stub approvals were signed appropriately by all parties as well as the Payment Approval Report for September.
VII. BUSINESS TO BE CONDUCTED
- Kuther Development: Mayor Bateman and Maintenance Cardwell reported on the latest developments of the property recently purchased by Ken Kuther. The trees on Blocks 19 & 20 will be removed and the area cleaned up for homes. Kuther has asked that the city punch in Birch street from 7th to 8th Avenues and west down 8th to Willow. Conversation ensued regarding subdivision and street development. The city currently does not have their own subdivision ordinance but has adopted the Lewis County Subdivision Ordinance, so the ordinance will need to be reviewed as well as the Development Standards for the City of Nezperce which was adopted last year with the approval of the Transportation Plan.Comprehensive Plan – Contract with CEDA to write plan – Action Item: Following discussion Cm. Jensen made a motion to contract with CEDA to write the City of Nezperce Comprehensive Plan, the motion was seconded by Cm. Nelson, motion carried. The contract is for $2,500. Now that the composer has been decided upon the planning committee can start meeting and putting the document together.Dog Issues: Mayor Bateman has been inundated with dog complaints recently. Seems that we are getting the most complaints on a certain few dogs. Barking and running at large are the main issues. Mayor Bateman has gotten the sheriff involved also.Airport Maintenance: Herco is scheduled to fog seal the airport on Monday, September 17th. Both renters are helping with funds. We need to order wind sox again.Website Update: Clerk Schmidt reported that we do have a one year firewall plan and we negotiated on a 5 year business plan. It took some work but Sharon Harris has been able to get back on to the old site and get information added. Sharon is building us a new site and seems to be enjoying it too. We will get a sneak preview one of these days.VIII. DEPARTMENTAL REPORTS
MaintenanceSewer: Cardwell reported that pump 2 needs to be sent off for repair. Approximately $1,600 plus shipping. They will be hauling fill to the ponds to build up the dike before the weather turns. No discharge again this month.
Water: Lead and copper samples will get done this month and 2 of the 3 meters have been upgraded. UPS hit the fire hydrant at Hillco so Cardwell will diagnose the damage tomorrow.
New City Hall: The tile contractor was going to start today but he didn’t show. Cardwell will talk with him about laying the laminate in the chamber room and tiling the bathroom.
Streets: Crosswalks are painted, and the crossing flags are up. Cm. Jensen wants the children notified so Cardwell will call the school, and have it announced. Clerk Schmidt added that she witnessed kids using the flags hours after they were installed. No word from the state regarding a stop light at Oak and 4th yet. Cardwell spoke to the council about painting STOP on the pavement at some uncontrolled intersections instead of installing signs. The council agreed to the idea.
Airport: Fog seal coming this week and will light the pile at the end of the runway.
St. John’s Storm Drain Question: Cardwell was asked if the city would help with the water run off they will get in their lot now that the city has corrected the drainage off Walnut. Cardwell asked the council and they concurred that St. John’s will need to address the issue themselves.Clerk
Clerk’s conference is next week so she will be in the office a half day on Monday, all day Tuesday and Keely will be in the office on Thursday. Other than that, the office will be closed until the 24th.Fire Department – No report COUNCIL COMMENT PUBLIC COMMENT: DAR Proclamation: Motion to approve Jensen, Nelson seconded.Census: The council agreed to find out more information and participate as a Complete County Committee for the upcoming census. ADJOURNMENTOther/Upcoming Events:
IRWA Conference – September 12-13
Clerks Conference – September 18-21
Lewis County Fair – September 27-30The next city council meeting will be on Tuesday, October 9, 2018 at 5:30 PM at City Hall.
Steve A. Bateman, Mayor Rhonda J. Schmidt, Clerk-Treasurer